How to use a fire Extinguiser
If your commercial property in Sanford sustains fire damage from a kitchen or electrical fire, you should contact a commercial restoration company.
A fire extinguisher is a helpful safety tool for suppressing small to medium-sized fires and limiting fire damage. As soon as a fire starts, get the extinguisher and identify a safe evacuation path. You should check to make sure that the extinguisher you have on hand contains a suitable substance for the type of fire you are trying to suppress. It is also a good idea to sound the fire alarm on a commercial property and contact the fire department before attempting to suppress a fire.
Whether you have never used an extinguisher or it has been a long time since you experienced a fire emergency, here are four simple steps you can follow.
- Pull the pin. Pulling the pin on an extinguisher will break the tamper seal.
- Aim the fire extinguisher nozzle, hose, or horn. Point the dispenser at the base of the fire. Avoid making contact with the discharge horn on a CO2 extinguisher, as it may become very cold.
- Squeeze the handle. Squeeze the handle to dispense the substance within the extinguisher in the direction of the fire.
- Spray from side to side. Move the spray horizontally across the base of the fire until it appears to be out. Remember that a fire may seem to be out and then reignite.
Keep watching the affected area to make sure the fire does not restart or have firefighters inspect the area to make sure it is out. Once you use a fire extinguisher you will need to either refill or replace the extinguisher, depending on whether the design is reusable or disposable. Reusable extinguishers cost more upfront but less to refill than buying a new disposable extinguisher. If your commercial property in Sanford sustains fire damage from a kitchen or electrical fire, you should contact a commercial restoration company.
How Do I Clean Carpets Myself?
Call us now for a carpet cleaning company. We have a 24-hour service.
Carpets give additional designs and ornaments, especially in our living room where we welcome our guests. Being exposed to sunlight and different people make it dull and need cleaning once in a while too. And the truth is, if you don’t clean your carpet, you are putting it to permanent damage, and damaged carpet calls for replacement and does add to your expenses. Keeping it clean is just as important as cleaning any other furniture, fixtures, and fittings in your home. A carpet without regular cleaning produces unwanted smells and shows visible signs of dirt.
Is it worth getting the carpet cleaned?
Definitely yes. To avail, a carpet cleaning company is worth it. Carpet cleaners are not that cheap but hiring one has several good benefits. Here they are:
- They clean your carpet more thoroughly and deeply than you can. Carpet cleaners are trained and use machines to make your carpet look new.
- They will help your carpet last longer which will make you save more money on carpet replacement.
- Because of their equipment, they will make your carpet look better and smell cleaner.
- You save a lot of time and hassle.
Checking out a carpet cleaning service would be the best option, but if you are too tired to use big machines and appliances, we will give you tips on how to clean your favorite carpet by yourself.
Here are the easiest and fastest steps to clean carpets:
- Use of baking soda. This is the simplest ingredient to clean the carpet. Sprinkle it over the carpet and vacuum thoroughly to remove loose debris. It also works to remove odors from the carpet.
- A mixture of shampoo and warm water. Combine two drops of carpet shampoo with warm water in a clean spray bottle. Spray over the carpet slowly to not saturate the fibers.
- Use a carpet brush to brush off any trapped dirt.
- Soak up the area with dry towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Fill a clean spray bottle with fresh water and spray on the same area.
- Get another set of dry and clean towels to soak up and lift the remaining moisture.
- Finish your cleaning by using a carpet grooming brush.
But how often should you clean your carpet? Well, most carpet cleaning services recommend carpets are cleaned every 6-18 months depending on the amount of traffic. If you have young children and pets, it is required to have a more regular deep clean due to the increased amount of dirt and hair that gets into them.
At SERVPRO, we have proudly served Sanford for over 40 years - SERVPRO of Sanford provides exceptional restoration and remediation services for both residential and commercial properties. Call us now for a carpet cleaning company. We have a 24-hour service.
How To Get Rid of Graffiti Vandalism
At SERVPRO of Sanford, we offer not only mold restoration or water damage but also graffiti cleanup services. Call us today!
Graffiti vandalism is a big problem especially when your favorite stuff like a table was scratched. It also includes defacing, tagging, writing, drawing of symbols, or placing materials onto any surface without the property owner’s permission. Aside from the physical impact, it has also a financial and social impact on the community as it might the perception of safety. SERVPRO of Sanford offers a vandalism cleanup service to minimize these problems.
But if you want some DIY tips on how to get rid of graffiti vandalism on different surfaces before going to a graffiti cleanup service, we’ll definitely give it to you.
On Metal Surfaces
- Use thinner like mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or acetone to wipe the graffiti off.
- Try removing it by rubbing with steel or bronze wool or light sandpaper if the graffiti still remains.
- Try power-washing with a 3000psi pressure washer to further remove the graffiti.
- Paint over the graffiti.
On Wood Surfaces
- For unweathered and sealed with paint, stain, or sealer on woods, try to remove it by wiping with mineral spirits, but if the wood is weathered, do not use this technique as the mineral spirits will be absorbed by the wood, driving the paint further down into the wood.
- Use a 3000psi pressure washer to get rid of the graffiti then observe carefully to make sure the pressure is not driving the paint deeper into the wood grain.
- Sand the wood and re-paint or simply paint over the graffiti.
On Plastic Surfaces
- Try to use a light, penetrating oil to wipe off graffiti. Refrain from using paint thinners as they can soften the plastic and can cause clouding or permanent tackiness of the surface.
- You can also use light rubbing with ultra-fine steel or bronze wool to remove the paint.
- Paint over it if it is still not working.
On Masonry Surfaces
- Power-wash the graffiti with a 3000psi pressure washer but always be careful in selecting the type of tip you use in the pressure wand. Too narrow a tip can etch the masonry surface, leaving a perfect outline of the graffiti removed.
- The sandblasting technique is another way. Be careful with the pressure in washing not to allow the sandblasting tip to remain in one spot too long as it can permanently etch the surface. Just be sure that the tip moves over the painted area and the surrounding areas so that the surface is blended.
- If both of the techniques don’t work (power-washing and sand-blasting), paint over the graffiti.
On Glass Surfaces
- The use of a razor blade to carefully scrape the graffiti. Use the razor blade in a holder and scrape at a 30-degree angle to the glass.
- Use ultra-fine bronze wool with water to gently rub the remaining paint off.
- The use of paint thinners on glass can be effective too but razor blades are much quicker and environmentally friendly.
Before cleaning any graffiti, it is vital to take pictures in case someone asks for evidence of vandalism. The sooner the graffiti is removed, the more the offending vandals will be discouraged. If things are beyond your control, you can check the vandalism cleanup service immediately. At SERVPRO of Sanford, we offer not only mold restoration or water damage but also graffiti cleanup services. Call us today!
Overflowing toilet, but it isn't clogged, HELP!
Plumbing and water removal problems can be costly and could occur anytime. The most important thing to do is get a regular check-up on your plumbing.
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night anxious to go to the bathroom and find the water in your toilet overflowing? Automatically, you reach out for the plunger and get in there to stop the water from flooding the whole bathroom. After minutes of painstakingly unclogging the toilet, the water continues to overflow onto the floor. This is probably the best time to call an emergency plumber as this is beyond the ability of you and your plunger. Plungers can only handle small clogs and cannot go deeper into the pipe. Since the plumbing system is intricate, it can be bothersome to fix it yourself. Water removal is particularly hard at this point since it has already flooded your whole bathroom.
There are several reasons why the water in your toilet is overflowing and cannot be unclogged by using a plunger. One particular reason would be the plumbing vent may be the one that is clogged and not your toilet. Did you know that your plumbing system is composed of both drainage and vent systems? Yes! They work together to efficiently move water through the pipes. The plumbing vent pipe is a vertical pipe that runs from the drain line to the roof of your home. It provides fresh air to all the plumbing fixtures so that water can efficiently run throughout the whole system.
There are signs that your vent is clogged, and you have probably noticed these before experiencing the overflow in your toilet. If you smelled a strong sewage smell, that is the first sign that your vent is clogged. Since the vent’s primary purpose is to get rid of the bad smell from the toilet, smelling it means that the gases cannot escape properly outside the vent.
Another sign would be hearing gurgling sounds in your toilet and drains. It is not actually normal to hear strange gurgling sounds after flushing. This may be an indication that air cannot escape properly from the vents thus it finds its way to escape to the nearest exit which is in the drains and toilet.
Lastly, if you notice that your drains are sluggish and slow down, it may be a sign that the air pressure within your plumbing system is not flowing properly. The baking soda and vinegar solution would probably not work for this one so you should already call for an emergency plumber.
There are actually a lot of reasons why your toilet vent is clogged. Debris from the outside could have gotten inside the system and accumulated causing it to clog. You think that going to the roof and getting this debris out would solve the problem. You’re probably right but it could be dangerous doing it by yourself, and it may not also be the main problem. Therefore, hiring a professional plumber like SERVPRO of Sanford would be best for you since they could check for other possible reasons why the vent is clogged.
Plumbing and water removal problems can be costly and could occur anytime. The most important thing to do is get a regular check-up on your plumbing system so you could address potential problems before they could become a bigger issue and would cost you a lot more money. SERVPRO of Sanford are experts in all plumbing-related issues and we have professional plumbers available for you 24/7.
How to clean mold off of leather and clothes
If you have limited time at home, no need to worry as there are house mold removal services like SERVPRO of Sanford
We usually wear leather boots and clothes this season and sometimes on rare occasions. When we put them in the closet waiting for the next event where we can wear them might cause certain damage, even mold. We would never want that to happen, right? Some of us who have limited time to clean our molded shoes and clothes might go to a mold removal service, but in this article, we’ll talk about ways to clean those molds.
How to get rid of mold in your body
- Remove visible mold growth on every surface as much as possible. You can do this by using house mold removal products, hot soapy water, or a mixture of 1 cup of bleach for 1 gallon of water.
- Remove and take away all discarded or porous materials like carpets, insulation, and wallboard when they are showing signs of mold.
- Contact a mold removal service for extensive mold growth in your home and a doctor if you have health effects that occur when cleaning moldy surfaces.
How to clean mold off of leather boots
Molds require moisture to grow and to get rid of it, moisture must be removed. Cleaning leather boots can be different depending on the brand. Some of them require a gentle touch to avoid damaging their surface. Before giving you tips, make sure that you are wearing a mask while removing the molds in the shoes.
- Dry-brush the surface with a stiff, nylon brush. It will brush away the mold and mildew that has built upon the surface of the leather shoe.
- For suede and nubuck leather types, the first step can be safely done. If the shoes need more cleaning because of the stains or mold returns repeatedly, use a suede cleaner.
- Moisten a soft cloth with a mixture of vinegar and water and use it to wipe the surface of the shoes where there is mold. Vinegar is effective against most types of mold.
How to clean mold off from clothes
Mold can also strike on clothes and when it happens it can ruin your outfit as it can be very visible. So to get rid of it, try the following:
- Bleach. One effective way to remove mold and mildew from clothing that is made of white cotton. Apply a ratio of 1:3, 1 part of bleach to 3 parts water to the stain, and sit it for a few minutes before starting to launder the clothes as usual.
- If your cloth is collared and cannot be bleached, try removing it with lemon juice or white vinegar. Soak a cotton pad in lemon juice or white vinegar and rub it on the stain. Soak it for several minutes.
- Sprinkle the area with some salt to further boost the effect of the acid from lemon juice or white vinegar. Place them in a sunny spot to dry as the sun rays can also bleach stains. Repeat as needed then launder the clothes.
If you have limited time at home, no need to worry as there are house mold removal services like SERVPRO of Sanford that is open and available 24-hour emergency service and highly trained mold and water damage restoration specialists.
How the experts remove mold
SERVPRO of Sanford is available for you 24/7. Leave all molds to the experts and enjoy living in a mold-free home.
Our homes are our most prized possessions, and we always make sure that they are spotless and mold-free. However, hiding in the shadows and sometimes in the most unvisited part of our house is the basement. Do you notice that in most horror movies, a ghostly element or some kind of monster is hiding in the basement? That gives us the feeling that all basements are scary places and should be kept locked and hidden from the world.
That ghostly feeling from your basement is just the damp walls and layers of mold forming all over the area. In this article, we will give you tips on how to remove molds from your basement, and as a bonus, we will give you ideas on what to use your basement for and not just for storage space.
Water leaks and excess moisture can cause molds to grow in your basement. Molds can grow at an alarming rate if not given proper attention. It is not only an eyesore but can also have the possibility of damaging your home and as well as your health in the long run. Basement mold removal is not an easy task and needs to be done with proper care.
Here are some tips on how to remove molds from your basement:
- Assess the overall mold problem
We know you’re excited to start removing the filthy molds from your basement walls but the first thing you should do is assess where the molds are coming from. Since it thrives in dampness and moisture, it could be caused by water leakage from your HVAC or pipes leaking.
First, find the source of leakage and fix them before starting mold removal. You can also opt for a mold removal service to check out the intensity of your mold problem.
- Equip yourself with Protective Equipment
Always equip yourself with gloves, protective clothing, and face masks such as N95 or a P-100 respirator. This should never be disregarded since dealing with molds can have bad effects on your health particularly if you have a weak immune system or allergies.
Molds grow due to excess moisture in the area. Thus, for easier mold removal, you need to first dry out the damp space and take as much humidity as possible. The best way to do this is to run a dehumidifier in the room to dry out the area. However, make sure to avoid airflow since this could make the mold spread to other parts of the basement.
- Moisten mold before scrubbing them
Scrubbing mold right away can cause spores to spread all over the area. It can also be more dangerous since the possibility of inhaling it is bigger even though you have a face mask on. In this case, using a spray bottle with water and bristled brush can make the mold easier to remove. If you are using rags, never reuse them since they can be dangerous even if it has been washed and the same goes with the brush used as well.
- Hire a professional mold removal specialist
Mold removal is a daunting task and can also be a time-consuming activity. Also, if this is not done correctly, it can pose problems in the future and has the possibility that the mold could resurface again. If you are looking for an expert mold removal service, SERVPRO of Sanford is available for you 24/7. Leave all molds to the experts and enjoy living in a mold-free home.
As promised, a great idea for your new mold-free basement is renovating it as a Game room complete with a gaming station, billiard, or Ping-Pong tables, and even arcade machines for the complete gaming experience. But if you want to use your basement for extra money, try renovating it as a living space and renting it out. Whatever you choose, enjoy your new mold-free basement.
How to Prevent Water Damage on Vacation.
Before going on vacation make sure your sump pump is working.
How to Prevent Water Damage on Vacation.
Ahhh, vacation. You've left the daily grind behind and are off to enjoy some much-needed relaxation. But if you're not careful, your time off can end up costing you more than just stress! When it comes to taking care of your Lake Mary, FL home while away on vacation, it's important to be proactive and take preventative measures before disaster strikes. Here are some tips for how to prevent water damage on vacation.
Check the water heater.
- Check the temperature and pressure of the water heater.
- Inspect for leaks.
- Make sure that gas is completely turned off.
- Check pilot light for any signs of burning, discoloration, or corrosion. If you find a problem with your pilot light, contact a professional to repair it immediately before using the water heater again.
- Check thermostat; make sure it's working properly and at recommended settings (120°F).
Make sure your sump pump is working properly.
The most important thing to do when you're away from home is to make sure that your sump pump is working properly. Sump pumps are crucial for drainage and water removal, but they can also be a pain to deal with if they aren't in good shape.
Not only should you check that your sump pump works, but also make sure that the outlet is clear of debris, so it has room to drain into the ground. If you've never used one before or aren't familiar with how yours operates, make sure you read up on how it works and how often maintenance needs to be performed.
Check for leaks.
The first thing you should do is check your plumbing for leaks. If you’re renting, this may be a particularly important step.
Here are some things to look out for:
- Leaks from pipes or faucets (they could cause major water damage)
- Leaks from toilets (can also lead to major damage)
If you have any suspicions about any leaks, it’s worth calling up your landlord or maintenance company as soon as possible so they can take care of the problem before it gets worse!
What to do if you have a flooded home?
- Call a professional.
- Don't turn the power back on until you have a professional check it.
- Don't use any electrical appliances until you've had a professional check it, even if they seem to be working fine (you don't want to fry anything).
- Don't use water from your tap until you've had it tested by a certified lab, who can tell you whether your home’s tap water is safe for consumption and bathing purposes.
Don't come home from vacation to find out that water damage has ruined your home!
If you're planning a vacation this summer, you might be itching to get out of town. But before you hit the road, there are a few things that are essential for preventing water damage while you're away.
First and foremost: if you have any leaks in your home while you're gone, don't wait to fix them when you get back. Leaks can cause serious damage to your property and belongings—but they can also be easily avoided with proper maintenance and preparation.
When it comes time for your next big trip—whether it's just down the street or halfway around the world—here are some simple steps to take so that when it comes time for a return home (and thusly an inspection from any potential landlord or real estate agent), all is well:
So, to sum up, keeping your home safe from water damage while you're away on vacation is simple. The most important thing is to make sure that the water heater is working properly, and that there's no sign of leaks anywhere in or around your home. You should also check your sump pump and make sure it's ready to go if you have a flood. If you need any help, SERVPRO of Sanford East is here for you!
How SERVPRO of Sanford responded To Hurricane Ian
This local Pizza company is expected to open the weekend of Halloween, now that the owner can finally access his building safely.
Hurricane Ian, made landfall in Florida on September 28 as a Category 4 Hurricane. As Floridians were evacuating, SERVPRO prepared to head to Florida. Our teams from all over the country had vehicles loaded up to stand by homeowners’ sides to help, when called upon.
Our team here in Sanford assisted with local businesses and homeowners with storm damage. As flooding took over the streets in Historic Downtown Sanford, businesses had to board up for weeks, some over a month. Our team worked with a popular restaurant in the area to get it back open and operating as quickly as possible. Once the storm passed and it was safe to return to most of downtown we filmed the damage from an aerial view, watch this video we made to see how high the water got.
This local Pizza company is expected to open the weekend of Halloween, now that the owner can finally access his building safely. Employees have been without jobs for almost a month and counting. The owner of this business has been operating out of a tow behind pizza oven to help local families impacted by Ian.
Now over a month after the storm, our teams are finally catching up to normal, but the storm damage doesn't end here. For months after the storm, SERVPRO teams will be getting calls about mold damage. Mold damage occurs from water intrusion and moisture in the air. Most of the time this happens when people didn’t realize they had water damage from the storm.
How Do I Submit a Claim Following a Fire?
Get in contact with your Insurance agent
How Do I Submit a Claim Following a Fire?
Calling your agent is the first thing you should do after a fire damages your commercial property. Call the insurance provider directly and explain what happened if you can't immediately get in touch with the agent. Then, leave the house as soon as you can to allow firefighters to do their jobs. Do not discard anything until an adjuster has seen it; instead, take photos and videos of everything. To avoid additional damage and stay within the repair budget set forth in your insurance policy, try to make temporary repairs yourself. Keep all receipts for reimbursement purposes, please!
Call your agent right away.
Call the insurance provider directly and ask how to submit a claim if you're unsure that you can get through to your home or commercial property's fire insurance agent. Contact your agent or the insurance provider right away if you have a home fire insurance policy.
If you're unsure that you can reach your agent, contact the insurance provider directly and inquire about the claim-filing process.
If you're unsure that you can reach your agent, contact the insurance provider directly and inquire about the claim-filing process. You can get in touch with your claims adjuster by asking the insurance provider any questions you may have about insurance in general.
If the fire is small enough that it's contained within one room of your home, it's possible that only part of your property is damaged—and that should be covered by homeowner's or renters’ insurance. If this is the case and the damage isn't extensive enough for an adjuster to visit and assess, there's no need for you to file a claim right away.
Document everything with photos and video.
This step is extremely important, especially if you plan to submit a claim. Before you begin repairs, take photos of all damage and the state of your room. If you can, move around the room while taking photos to capture a variety of perspectives of what has happened to your possessions.
Regarding video, it's great if your smartphone or camera can record both stills and video at once (some can), but even if it can't, don't worry about taking separate clips for each part; this is just as good if it depicts how the scene appeared before and after the fire occurred.
Also, take pictures of receipts for damaged items—and make sure they're legible!
Keep track of all broken items, and don't forget to add any receipts from the house you can find buried in the wreckage.
It's crucial to keep a list of all damaged items after a fire. If you can locate any receipts for replacement items or temporary repairs, be sure to include that information as well.
Even if only a portion of a room was damaged by fire, you should take pictures or videos of everything in your house before you start making repairs because you might need to show the adjuster how the item looked before damage occurred.
You should list all of your possessions and keep a running tally of their respective values. To estimate an item's value based on its condition and the year it was produced, use an online valuation tool like EstimateMD's helpful-ness guide (yes, that's right).
Make temporary repairs yourself to prevent further damage.
Making temporary repairs by yourself will help stop further damage. These expenses must be covered by your insurance up to a certain limit. But keep in mind that you'll need to save every receipt if you want to be reimbursed.
Call your insurance agent right away if there has been a fire. Ask the insurance company how to submit a claim if you are unsure if you can reach your agent. Record everything on camera and in video. Keep a list of everything that is broken, and be sure to include any receipts from the house you can find among the debris. Never dispose of anything before the adjuster has seen it. Take pictures or videos of every room in your house before making repairs, even if only a portion of it was damaged by fire, as you might need to show them what it looked like before the damage occurred.
Why Timely Water Damage Restoration Matters
Water damage can occur anytime and anywhere.
The scope of water damage can vary widely from a single dripping faucet to heavy flooding that has ruined several rooms and caused structural damage. The severity of the situation will also determine the required cleanup procedures as well as potential repair options. Scheduling for a water damage restoration near Lake Mary as soon as possible is crucial to prevent further problems along the way.
Here are 5 reasons why attending to water damage promptly is important.
Mold can begin to form in just 24-48 hours after a water damage incident. Mold will flourish fast and if you don't take care of it as soon as possible, it will affect everything in your home - from furniture to clothes. It will devastate your living space and before you know it, your home will be contaminated and the damage becomes more severe. Calling for a SERVPRO near my location as soon as possible will prevent mold from forming as they will instantly attend to the water damage and begin the cleanup process.
Water damage can cause structural damage to homes because of the sheer force of water flow. This is especially true for homes with crawl spaces or basements where flooding occurs. The water pressure will push against walls and floors, causing them to warp or even collapse over time if not attended by a water damage restoration Lake Mary professional immediately.
Permanent Stains on Flooring and Walls
Water is not only capable of damaging the structure of your home but also the interior, including flooring and walls. Water-damaged areas will likely develop permanent staining that cannot be removed no matter how hard you scrub or how much cleaning solution you use. Keeping your home dry and immediately calling for professional help will prevent this from happening.
Electrical wiring and electrical systems are specifically designed to handle the amount of moisture that they are typically exposed to. However, when exposed to too much water or when submerged in water, even for a short amount of time, the insulation around these wires can become damaged and corroded. This can result in short circuits and even fires. In addition, if water gets into any electrical equipment like a refrigerator or freezer, it will likely cause permanent damage to the internal components as well.
Repairs are costly especially if it involves your home. Dealing with water damage right away will ensure things will be fixed before they get worse. It is best to start the repair process as soon as possible. Delaying the restoration will only cost you more money in the long run.
Water damage is a serious issue that can have catastrophic results, especially in homes with crawl spaces, basements, or built-in water damage mitigation systems. Water damage can occur anytime and anywhere. It is not something to be taken lightly because it can cause major damage to your home and health. If you ever experience any water damage, call a SERVPRO near my location as soon as possible.